My DIY projects and home decor attempts that hopefully help me to "fluff my nest!"

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another blog?

This is the first post to my brand new blog! I'm not new to blogging, but I'm new to home decor and DIY blogging. I've really enjoyed reading all the awesome DIY blogs and wanted to get in on the action. And I want to start joining in the blog parties.
For my first post, I thought I'd show you my latest French memo board. For this one, I used a vintage frame I've had in my attic for years. I honestly forgot it was up there. I stumbled across it a while back and thought it would make a fabulous memo board for my guest room.

Here is the frame before I started. It is quite shabby with peeling paint remnants on the wood. There is some damage to the frame at the very top. I considered trying to repair it and quickly decided against it. It adds more character, right?

I used a piece of foam core board that I roughly cut with a craft knife to fit inside the frame. Then I covered the foam board with a piece of polyester batting to give the memo board a little "give" when you place mementos on it. I used clear packing tape to secure the batting to the foam core board. It's not pretty, but you'll never see it once it's hanging on the wall.


Then I covered the batting with a burlap. I used a cream colored grosgrain ribbon and upholstery tacks on the front, wrapping the ribbon all the way around the back and hot glueing it to the back of the board. The whole thing was then placed inside the frame and secured with offset clips to hold it inside the frame.
And here is the finished project. I added some vintage postcards and family photographs to the front. It is now hanging in my guest room, which is decorated vintage coastal.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope to post on a regular basis with other projects I'm working on.
Linking this post to Today's Creative Blog





Lyn



3 comments:

  1. It looks great, I love the distressed look of the frame. The postcards and pictures you added look very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Lyn! That frame is soooo cool -- you did a great job of turning it into a work of art. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW this turned out beautiful! I love the rugged shabby look you gave it and the colors are so perfect! love it!

    ReplyDelete