My DIY projects and home decor attempts that hopefully help me to "fluff my nest!"

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Menu board


What do you do with a piece of art you no longer care for? Sell it? Take it to Goodwill? Sure, you could do either of those things. Or you could turn it into something else functional for your home.
I have to get better about remembering to take photos of my "befores". I promise to work on that.So I'm sorry to say I don't have a before picture. Just imagine a landscape scene of the Tuscan countryside. I started out with a picture that measured approximately 42 x 30". The frame was nice, but I wanted to paint it white. So I got out my trusty can of Rustoleum spray paint. Then on the glass I rolled on 3 coats of chalkboard paint. This was my first time using chalkboard paint and I am amazed at home nicely it rolls on, and the outcome once you're done. I really love it! I let the paint cure for about a week and then I put the frame back together. And by the way, the piece of art I no longer care for is still in the frame.You never now when I might change my mind again *wink*. Then I applied a vinyl word I purchased. I love how the project turned out. It is hanging in my dining room which is not formal by any means. I plan on using this for a menu board or maybe even to keep a running shopping list.



Linking this post to Cottage Instinct's Make it for Monday


4 comments:

  1. I love this...so creative and functional.
    Just discovered your blog, looking forward to taking a peek through your archives first chance I get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of seeing chalk board projects! Great vinyl addition too. I haven't tried to paint over glass, but I have tons of old pictures I can play around with this winter...thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew that I could paint over glass. The way we change our minds, that was smart of you to save what's inside. I love the "eat" too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good chalkboard! I have one in my kitchen, and I can't do without it!
    You did a great job!
    Merry Christmas!
    gail

    ReplyDelete